Phone: (207) 848-1042
Fax: (207) 848-3316
Office Hours: Monday through Wednesday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, Thursday and Friday by appointment. Call ahead to make sure Josh is in the office if you need to meet with him.
About the Code Enforcement Office
The Code Enforcement Office is responsible for encouraging safe and sound development within the residential, commercial and industrial growth areas. The department along with the Planning Board assists in the development, maintenance, and enactment of the Town’s plans for development. The Code Enforcement Officer provides assistance with all aspects of development and building. It is the goal of this office to guide people through the maze of federal, state and local rules and regulations in a timely manner.
Please keep in mind when undertaking a project, call us for property setbacks and whatever permitting may be necessary. If the property permitting and setbacks are not met the outcome could cost a lot more than a phone call…
Always remember when working in or around the Shoreland area additional approval and permits may be needed through the Department of Environmental Protection or the Army Corp of Engineers. Check with the CEO or local DEP Office for guidance.
Also, before a new or renovated structure can be occupied a Certificate of Occupancy must be issued by the Hermon Code Enforcement Officer.
Town of Hermon Building Codes and Construction Specifications (PDF) :
- All Construction shall be inspected by licensed 3rd Party Inspectors.
- All construction shall comply with:
- The Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code
- The 2015 International Building Code
- The 2015 International Residential Code
- The 2015 International Fire Code
- All subsequent amendments
- Minimum design loads:
- Roof Snow Load 80 psf Ground Snow Load 80 lb/sqft
- Floors 40 psf
- Decks 40 psf
- Balconies 40 psf
- Design Wind Speed 90 mph/3 second gust
- Fire Separations:
- Garage partitions and attics (common to house) ½” drywall (mud and taped)
- Garage ceiling (under living area) 5/8” type X drywall (mud and taped)
- Drywall shall be installed on the garage side
- Frost depth is 5 feet
- Doors between the house and garage must be 1 3/8” solid wood or fire rated for 20 minutes.
- All bathrooms shall be mechanically vented to the exterior.
- Hardwired smoke detectors shall be installed in each bedroom.
- Hardwired smoke detectors shall be installed in the immediate vicinity outside of bedrooms.
- Hardwired carbon monoxide detectors shall be installed in each area giving access to bedrooms.